Need recommendations on tools.

Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 4 01:12:35 GMT 2001

> Reeallly gotta watch what you get at Harbor Freight. Some of their
> stuff is absolute crap (cheap chrome sockets, for instance). Some of
> it's pretty good for being cheap tools, though. I had been ordering
> via mail, but they recently opened a store here in Amarillo. Very
> dangerous for me. ;)
>
> I have bought from Harbor Freight:
>
> 8" bench grinder (good)
> 20-ton press (good)
> 40-lb pressurized sandblaster (crap)
> 25" breaker bar (love it)
> die grinder with 6" shaft (wobbles like a drunken fool)
> 3-pack crescent wrenches (loose jaws)
> air fittings (that don't fit any of my other air fittings - crap!)
> air hammer chisel (effective but very loud =8) )
> socket wobble extensions (have broken a couple of 'em)
> high-dollar ($180) oxy-acetylene cutting torch / welding setup - LOVE
> it!
>
> So you can see, it's a mixed grab bag with Harbor Freight...

Mr. & Mrs. Claus (aka Mom & Dad) were quite nice to me this year and
paid for my new 6.5HP 60 gal upright industrial compressor.  As a result
I'm looking for some new air tools.  I've got the basics covered (air
ratchet, impact gun, blow gun, tire inflation gauge) but am still
looking for a good straight and angle grinder for head/intake porting
and other deburring tasks.  Some of the offerings in Harbor Freight
and Northern Tool and Equipment look good, but I'm curious how they
stack up to their higher end (say Ingersol Rand, Campbell Hausfeld or
Devilbiss) counterparts.  Anyone have any experiences with their
grinders or bits that they want to share?

-Scott