LT1 plenum update

Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at mediaone.net
Tue Jan 16 17:48:50 GMT 2001

> What are the issues that you will have with the Plenum
> volume being too low?   I am running a 6.8L LT1 (409) with a
> slightly adjusted plenum (bigger throttle bore, and
> ported runners, but overall probably about the 3L
> mentioned).

I'll be perfectly honest here and say I don't know.  I'm doing this
mostly as an experiment cause the electrical analogies I can make to
it tell me it'll work.  Most of the ME classes I took had clear
counterparts in the EE world, so I've learned to see the similarities
and try to use them to guide me.

> One issue I have is that the idle is rather bad (according
> to the computer) one sides BLM goes down, and the other
> sides BLM goes up, and I can mostly stop this by adjusting
> the TB blades closed so that the IAC runs higher, but then
> of course the motor has issues staying running in gear or
> with the AC on.  The problem also goes away at moderate throttle.
> Would this be the sort of issue that one would expect to see?

I can tell you that my LT1 with the LT4 HOT cam has the same problem.
I'm still trying to figure out an approach to solving it - having the
car in storage right now isn't helping!<g>

> And Scott how are you thinking about changing the TB?

Right now I have a 52mm on the stock intake that's currently on the
engine.  Only changes in that area I have planned are to be sure that
the openings on the new intake are at least that large and are blended
and smoothed nicely.  I know the stock openings are SUPPOSED to be
large enough to handle the 52mm, but the ones on my present intake
were visibly undersized ever so slightly.

-Scott