Questions from a newbie

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Wed Jan 17 21:23:58 GMT 2001

Disconnect the O2 sensor, and tune by ear/feel/plug checking.  If there's
a problem in the O2 feedback loop, disconnecting the sensor should make
the engine run better.  If the sensor's responding _correctly_ to
something like a misfire, you need to chase that problem down.

O2 signals should be fairly responsive.  Putting a scope or voltmeter on
the line with the engine running, fuel correct, and in closed loop will
reveal rapidly changing numbers going from low to high peaks.  Testing by
substitution is a good method.  Put a known good part in the car, or
install your questionable sensor in another vehicle.

When the engine is misfiring, there is more free oxygen in the exhaust.
The O2 sensor responds to oxygen, and it reports a misfire as a lean
condition.  So the ecm adds more fuel, which contributes to the misfire,
which cause O2 to read more lean.

Get your tuning as right as you can in open loop.
Shannen