Vortec Ignition Module

Gonyou, Jeremy (.) jgonyou at ford.com
Tue Jul 10 12:43:57 GMT 2001

> I'm thinking that you meant to say that you have a smallblock 8 cylinder Vortec
>engine.

Actually, 4.3 V6.  1997 MY.

>If so, you'll need some way to generate a reference pulse for the ecm.
>The Vortec engine and OBD II ecm rely on the crankshaft sensor for that.

Oops, didn't know.  What's the 3 pins on the dissy for then?  I was thinking 3 pins meant a square wave signal (hall sensors have power, ground, and signal).

>may be able to interface the crank sensor's a/c output with an older HEI module
>to use with that new, cool distributor.  The easy way is to use an older
>distributor, but then you end up with an order of plug wire spaghetti to go. ;
>)  Or you can sit down with someone who likes to spend time at a machine shop
>and try to come up with a way to put a signal generator into the Vortec
>distributor.

Hmm, interesting stuff.  If I was going to go wacky, I think I'd shoot for a DIS, being that this is a V6 (haha to all the V8 folk!)  So I have a 3 pulse sine wave coming from my crank, that's not enough resolution to run a SEFI engine, there has to be something I'm missing...

Jeremy