Off: Manual trans + FWD 3.8 info...

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Jul 18 08:47:20 GMT 2001

This is only posted to the list because a few people were involved in the
thread.  There's a
fairly long thread in the archives with this discussion as a heart.  Search the
1997 DIY erchives for this subject:

2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

There's some interesting ideas and links there.

Also some nice reading here:

(Fiero) Performance Transaxle (Long)

Which leads to this page:
http://www.terranexus.com/fieroman/
Which has interesting info on putting a manual transaxle behind a 3800.

--> Very Pertinent to Scott's project!  <--

And after a night's worth of searching I remembered I had saved a bunch of
messages on CD.  A little more searching dug up this:

> Found a part no. for flywheel.  GM 25523510, suggested list
> of $112, is for 85-87 Pontiac Grand Am with 3.0l(Buick) and
> manual trans.

It never showed up in the archives search because it's an offlist post.  A quick
search of partsvoice ( http://www.partsvoice.com ) shows a dealer in Ohio that
has 3 in stock, another in MD that has 2, plus several more dealers around the
country with the parts in stock.  So even if the part no. is discontinued by GM,
it will still be available from these dealers.

This may not be a solution to the manual fwd transaxle + 3800 sd problem, but it
may help someone out with another project.
Shannen