'165 manual trans idle behavior.

Kevin Crain kevin at warpten.com
Sun Jun 17 01:08:57 GMT 2001

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I see with the ARAP code, even
with the manual trans bit set to 1.  Haven't had time to get an ALDL scan
with the APYP ('89 Vette, 6-speed manual) code but the idle seemed to
follow the pedal more closely when coming to a stop.  I'll report back on
Monday...got a race to attend at Pocono on Sun.

The '88 Firebird Helms manual shows no clutch switch input to the ECM,
period.  It has an input from the gear selector that closes to ground
whenever the shifter is in either P or N.  Given that this wire is now open
(heat shrink over the end, bundled neatly aside) my ECM never sees me in P
or N, and ALDL data confirms this.

The only wiring to the clutch switch is the starter interlock, and it's
just the clutch "pedal in" switch in series with the starter solenoid
circuit.  Until that switch closes, you have no voltage to the starter sol
with the key in <START> position.

-Kevin