New L88?

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 03:42:15 GMT 2001

fwiw, I think that most of the big 3 have come quite a way with cars in the
last 10 years, I also think that they have not come far enough.  I just
traded a 78 Regal for a 98 GP.  they were both about the same size, speed
(turbo regal), AC, cruise, power etc, etc, etc.  what kinda gets me is that
they both got about 20 mpg.  the regal about 17.5  top 18 & the GP 18 to 19.
Yea the GP has more HP but it not appreciably faster.  not a big deal, just
one of those things.

I think that the LS1 is a fantastic motor.  the gains with the new LT1 & LS1
are great I think.  I do think though that the pushrod motor is going to
come to an end shortly.  I don't know what is  coming next but it is
interesting what you can do w/o all that valve train.  has anyone seen how
much heat & noise that just the valve train makes?  it is incredible.  comp
cams (I think that it was them) has a Valve spring test fixture.  they spin
a piston less engine w/a an electric motor.  It generates soo much heat that
they have to run the water pump & such to keep the motor down to 150 or 160
Deg (or there abouts).  this blows me away.  the person that wrote the
article said that it sounded like the motor was running it made so much
noise.

If any of yall have not seen it check out the Coats rotary valve.
http://www.coatesengine.com/ If you ask me THIS is high tech.  There are a
number of innovative things that this guy had to overcome, sealing,
longevity, tolerances etc.  never mind OHC & DOHC & 4 & 5 valves/ hole.
take the reciprocating mess out of the picture & imagine what you can do.
How about spinning your 5.0 or 5.7 to 15,000 rpm
(http://www.coatesengine.com/popular.htm) NOW that is what I call hitting a
high note.

kinda like the Winkles, spin them to the sky & just keep going.  the short
side of that is (as someone pointed out) no torque.  how about the best of
both worlds?  maybe.

I have said it for years, If you want to know where the state of high tech
is & where the auto's are headed, Look to the motorcycle industry.  They are
innovative.  anyone ever seen an 8 valve/cyl OVAL piston motor. Honda made
one.

in the end, HP & torque rule & GM has that sown up.  But, when you look @
the almighty sales $, Ford is kicking the heck out of GM, anyone crying over
the loss of the F body? how can ford sell over 2 times the volume as GM,
they must be doing something right.

Its all good, just some is better than others in some ways.

my2c
BW