New L88?

Mike Dillon mdill at lsil.com
Tue Jun 19 05:29:27 GMT 2001

The sweetest DOHC engine (IMP) is the GM 5.2 straight 6. I know it does
not fit real well with most of this group of go fast guy's (I am a truck
guy a heart) but that engine embodies some pretty good trade offs, the
I6 configuration is naturally balanced, being a straight 6 it only needs
two cams for DOHC configuration, and GM designed it to move the timing
relationship
between the cams depending on load and RPM, which is one of the most compelling
reasons to even consider having more than one cam. I could see where it would
be very difficult to justify DOHC on a V engine due to the number of extra parts
the problems of keeping the package size low and controlling cost.
I fully admit that it is easier to spin a DOHC engine faster ( less valve train
mass) and make some impressive HP numbers, but is it worth the cost ? I guess GM
thought not. But I don't think GM is technology handicapped but they do have a
pretty
spotty record for "new" engines.
As far as "new" technology, I don't see anything new from any of the
manufactures
domestic or otherwise in the basic engine configuration. There has been
refinement
due to better materials and the advent of the microprocessor, but the
configuration
of any of the gas engines currently produced has been done well before the 60's,
by that
measure we are all running old technology. DOHC, fuel injection, turbos,
superchargers
hemi heads ... were all done prior to the 40's.