Torque converter problems?

David Papworth papworth at ichips.intel.com
Thu Mar 15 15:49:16 GMT 2001

I own a Ford pickup (yeah, I know, but I bought it for cheap
at a salvage auction with 145K miles on it).

One of its ills was a shuddering E40D torque converter lockup.
A search of deja.com revealed that this was a common malady,
Ford was plagued with this problem and kept changing clutch
composition and trans fluid -- even creating an "anti shudder
additive". There are after-market guys selling boards that
delay the lock-up signal from the PCM to the trans which is
supposed to help.

Many folks reported changing the trans fluid helped the problem,
so I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and made sure to
drain the torque converter as well. The old fluid looked OK
(not burnt). No metal in the pan. Filled it up with
Pennzoil's Mercon V semi-synthetic.

The problem was immediately, but not completely improved.
After about 500 miles, there was no sign at all of the problem.
I figure the clutch linings were saturated with the old fluid, and it
took some cycling to restore proper performance with the new
fluid. But 3000 miles later it still works perfectly.

So you might consider just doing a (complete) fluid change.
It worked for me.

(Don't go with the cheap-o Jiffy-lube pump-it-out the dipstick
version -- that leaves quite a lot of the old fluid trapped in the
torque converter).