Data from drag strip

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 06:15:41 GMT 2001

Not much.  in short, as soon as I whack the throttle open the MAP goes to
100.1 KPA.  when it gets to about 3700 to 3800 it begins to drop.  @ 5950 it
is down to 95.6.  this is the worst that it got in the 11 runs that I
recorded.  most times it dropped down to low 98's high 97's.

I have what I think is a pretty good exhaust (1-7/8" primaries, 3-1/2"
collectors, 2-1/2 duals with cross over).  the intake tract is a firebird
unit.  It has 4" plastic tube where the MAF was in the Firebird.  it goes
right to the filter housing that I cut the heck out of to make my ram air
setup.  I bet that this flows great.  I have modified the front end of my
car so that the great big hole that is the grill funnels the air to the ram
air setup.  by going into the grill the path of least resistance is bound to
be the air filter holder.  The heads are ported darts (I am working on
finding the numbers, but they are MUCH better than they were when they came
out of the box).

I am not really concerned, I just thought it interesting & I had not noticed
it before.  kind of makes me wonder if this is any indication of why my trap
speeds are so low (106-107).  kind of makes me think that this has to do
with choice of cam.  don't know, maybe it is time for the big squeeze.

thanks for all the interest guys.
BW