memcals

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Fri May 4 11:47:00 GMT 2001

-> I've got a sheet from a dealer that shows the part #s for all the ESC
-> and knock sensors. Hte knock sensor is the same for all engines (4.3,
-> 5.7, and 7.4) except the 5.0.

 Hm, interesting.  The sensors for the 2.8 and 3.1 have different part
numbers on them from the large engine sensors.

 Despite the dire warnings from the usual internet.party.poopers, there
can't be a whole lot of difference between the various GM knock
sensors, as most of the local rebuilders consider "parts is parts" and
just sitck whatever is laying around in the hole when rebuilding an
engine.

 I have a box full of knock sensors.  Would anyone care to dream up a
simple method of telling the tuned frequency and sensitivity of each
sensor?  A swinging weight and one of those handheld wondermeters?  I
could probably borrow one long enough to do some testing.