Kernel + real-time OS semantics

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Thu Sep 6 23:23:48 GMT 2001

Pat Ford wrote:

>  Can anyone who has looked a a bunch of P4 bins tell me if there are any
> bytes besides prom id, mask, checksum and the vector table that occur at
> the same place on all/most bins?

The sequence number is also in the "same" place - it's part of the 9
byte header at the "start" of the PROM.

Some P4 bins have a pointer to the ALDL tables.  If it's there, this
pointer is up at the end of the PROM near the interrupt vectors.
Sometimes there is also a JMP into one of the interrupt handlers
(perhaps the ALDL one).  These pointers and JMPs are never used.
Prsumably they are there so that during development, as the PROM layout
changed, the HUD display or equivalent could patch into the PROM.

>  Are the NVram locations the same on any bins?

Nope.