SES Lamp driver question

Jay Vessels jwvess00 at home.com
Thu Sep 13 03:14:50 GMT 2001

Hi there!

ECM SES lamp to switch power to the lamp driver?  Pretty cool idea!  My
only concern is that the ECM can source enough current to drive it properly
without damaging the output circuitry in the ECM.  'Course, it's working
for you so there is at least some argument that it's cool.

On Dad's Caprice I used a small relay I had laying around to invert the
signal.  It seemed to work but I don't have any long-term proof.  We got
two ECMs when we got our parts.  One has a bad fuel pump drive signal
(won't fire the fuel pump via the ECM) and the other won't drive the SES
lamp.  We have the "no SES lamp" ECM in the car right now.  Soon I hope to
convert it to MAP, so it won't matter after that.

I didn't really like the relay idea (vibration, etc.) and it was a
temporary solution.  Since the lamp driver output on the ECM is dead
anyway, I didn't persue it much.

On the topic of building in-car electonics, anyone have any FAQs or
websites that deal with tips on building circuity (i.e. power supplies,
input / output signal buffering and protection) that can live in an
automotive environment?

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Conv., 3.1V6 MPI