[Gmecm] gmecm at diy-efi.org

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Sat Dec 31 05:36:24 UTC 2005

>I haven't found any documentation on both of these modes.  I know if
>you send a frame w/ no data to Mode05, and it replies with $AA, then
>it supposedly is ready for Mode06.  Does anyone else have anymore
>information on these?

I don't remember off the top of my head what Mode05 is (I have it written down somewhere from a technical class.) However I do know exactly what Mode06 is. All the Mode functions are ecm access functions through the ALDL. Datastream, Read Codes, Erase codes, Etc. The different Modes are also what the EPA requires the ecm to be able to do.
  In answer to the question Mode06 is the Componet Parameter function. It is used for engineering and diagnosis of sensor parameters. All ecms have it although not all are accessable. Basically Mode06 is where the ecm has the Maximum and Minimum parameters for a sensor and the sensor's current state of input or calculated value. A good example is the O2 sensor. Maximum value could be set at 975mv, minimum at 50mv. If the sensor strays outside of these values the ecm sets a code. The more conditions an ecm requires for self diagnosis, the more Mode06 info is inside. All Mode06 info is given by address and values.
  It is helpful diagnosing something wrong because you can see how far out the issue is. (Whether all heck broke loose or if it's just a little off) Only catch is everything is given in Hexadecimal form so it has to be translated and every car is different. OTC is currenly the furthest on top of having translation built into a scan tool although vehicle coverage is limited. And also translation information is hard to some by. The OEMs are keeping it close and threatening anyone who tries to put it "Out There."
  I do not know if the Mode06 code can be hacked and modified. It is still very new to be using it for diagnosis in the professional world, let alone the DIY catergory. Although if possible with the address for the info being given on the scan tool it should be easier. If you can come across a translation table it should be very easy.
  If you guys want more info e-mail me and I'll find my books and put everything I have on different Modes on the forum.