[Gmecm] What does VSS do exactly?

Jay Vessels jay
Mon Jun 27 21:35:11 UTC 2005

Hi there!

The vacuum/electronic cruise system on the mid-80s trucks was the servo
underhood, the VSS+buffer, the turn signal stalk, and a small black box
which was the standalone controller.

The underhood wiring did not have the VSS signal to it; rather, it was
just wiring for two vacuum solenoids, and for some systems, a feedback
signal (moving magnet/wire coil).

I've never seen the VSS buffer mounted to anything (seems like it just
hangs in space) so I'd do just what you mentioned -- I'd remove the
speedometer from the cluster, and follow the ribbon cable.  Chances are
you didn't remove the controller, so if you find that (usually around
the steering column) you'll find where the post-VSS buffer wiring goes.
  That harness already has power and ground, so it's a simple matter of
running a wire from your ECM to the VSS output wire that's already there.

You may be closer to having a VSS than you thought!

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 carb. (for now)