[Gmecm] L31 and HotCam, induction options

Robert Fleming robert.fleming
Wed Mar 16 20:08:57 UTC 2005

Here is an idea...

later model lt1's use the same style IAC and TPS as ls1's and l31's.  TPI intakes are easy to find and have room for a distributor unlike the lt1 (without machining).  Run a late model lt1 throttle body on a tpi intake with the l31 ecm controlling it all.   Might not even need to swap out the throttle body if the early and late style IAC's are controlled the same way.

Now that I've found out about this ecm I think I'm going to try to adapt it to my AMC 401 using the edelbrock mpfi intake and rails which I think they sell seperately.  Mass Air OBD2 compliant AMC V8,  who would have thought of that back in 91 when Jeep still had a carberater on it.  Only difficulty I can see is the crank and cam pickups.  Might be able to fit one in a duraspark distributor and on the balancer.  Guess I'll have to wait till all the pieces are here to figure that out.

Robert

Michael Kaczmar <abbynrml94 at yahoo.com> wrote:
My intentions for the L31 were to get it running with the stock
induction. 255 HP and 330 ft-# torque is a nice tow motor. Very similar
power band to a stock LT1, dead over 5000 rpm. That's fine, it's to
upgrade a TBI pickup to a better motor. You can TBI a Vortec, but I
like multiport better, and you run out of air on a TBI unit.

If I was to hot-cam an L31 (I have hot cammed my Lt1 in the past, even
hot camm'ed and big vlaved an LT1 Porsche 944), it would be with a
different IAFM anyway. That's the reason why I was asking about the
injectors. Apparently the stock VCM injector drivers will work with
common injectors. The Ramjet is a nice idea, you can get the intake on
its own. The Distributor, coil and throttle body are all GM parts bin
pieces, the TB is from an F-body LS1. Fuel rails... I got the drawing
for the Ramjet intake, since it is for a SBC head, albeit with the
raised vortec runners, the injector spacing and angle look the same as
any TPI or LT1 setup. I think you can use the fuel rails, and make
custom crossovers. The intake alone is like $400 though. SHould flow as
nicely as an LT1...

Michael Kaczmar
Creator 77/94/95/96 Caprice a.k.a. Frankenstein LT1/MN6
2004 Impulse Blue GTO, LS1/M12
53 F-100 5.0/T5, Mustang II, T-bird IRS.....
see http://www.geocities.com/abbynrml94 for project pics!!