Ang: RE: [Gmecm] New ROM-code in a 1227747?

Per Lonnborg perlon
Wed Nov 30 07:39:09 UTC 2005

I am impressed! So it CAN be done to go ROMLess even if there is some work to get it done.
Good work of RBob (or BobR!), especially since
he did this back in Dec, 2000!

I feel very tempted to try this myself. Right now I only have one ECU, the one in my Monza, and it feel a
bit unsecure to start messing with that one...

According to RBob in the tread to thirdgen, there are very few people that actually have
done this under these years.
Maybe it depends on the fact that if you want more features, you also has come to the stage in ECU skills that
you change to a P4 instead?

For me, going ROMLess feels like a nice challenge. It would be nice to hear if someone else out there has
made/tried this conversion!

/Per

>Correct--ROM is in the CPU. Correct--removing the CPU and replacing it would be
>a huge job. It is not
correct that you *must* use that on board ROM, however.

>Thirdgen.org seems to be down at the moment (for me anyway). Hopefully it'll be
>back soon and you can read more about the ROMLess C3. Key is the "ROMEN" line.
>http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?
threadid=217206

>This is likely above the average Joe's head, but driving once was too. There's
>plenty of excellent info out there about
the C3s/TBIs. Read BobR's posts very
>closely, since he's the source of much (if not most) of that excellent info.
>
>-greg
>

>> As
Dennis said,  the ROM is contained in the CPU.  Removing the CPU
>> and replacing it with 'something else' is a very big job.  You'd be
>> much better off using the thirdgen device.  It should be fairly easy
>> to accomplish your goals that way.
>>
>> The CPU is a 68hc11
variant with a few special instructions,  built by
>> Motorola for GM.  You can't replace it with a commercial part without
>> re-writing
the code.

>> Bill

over there, a complete new

had plans for though, so I will ask

that stock ROM

programming, so maybe some of my questions seems strange!