[Gmecm] Which ecm to use

Robin Handley Robin
Mon Aug 21 08:41:02 UTC 2006

> Okay, I have a 730 ecm and a 4cyl memcal on the way
> along with all of the hardware for adapting and
> burning a chip. I still have a few simple questions
> that remain to be answered and I will begin
> programming. I am still not 100% on what route I am
> going with my ignition system but I think for the most
> part I will figure that out easily enough. I will
> eventually go with a DIS setup, but for now I am going
> to use my stock distributor to save cost just to get
> the initial phase of the swap done.
>
>  One of my main questions is is there anything that I
> need to modify in the $58 code for it to work properly
> in the 730 ?

I think I've mentioned that I'm running $58 on 727 hardware, which I
*believe* is the same PCB in a different enclosure with different edge
connectors (and hence pinout) as the 730. Putting aside the code changes to
run $58 'properly' in a NA application, I don't believe any *code* changes
are necessary to actually just *run* the $58 code to control ignition
(albeit totally uncalibrated, and therefore potentially dangerous, of
course) on a 730 (as they aren't for a 727). I've actually idled my 4cyl NA
engine using an exact copy of the Sunbird ($58) code. I found that the $8D
(Corvette) 727 pinout worked for ignition on my 727 running $58. I believe
the pinout of the 730 running its native code should be valid for ignition
when running $58. See:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/213539-58-frequently-asked-questi
ons.html

> If I use my distributor setup for now shouldnt I use a
> GM style ignition module to make it work properly ?

I use an 8-pin GM HEI.

Robin

P.S. I have to say that making any changes to your car's engine management
system is at your own risk! :-)