[Gmecm] Using a 1227748 ecm for fuel conrol only

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Thu Jan 5 22:25:37 UTC 2006

In a DIS system you have a toothed wheel, an ignition module, and an
ECM.  The ignition module serves as the distributor, in that it syncs to
the wheel, knows which plug is next to fire, and makes the spark.  The
computer only knows that it's time to fire one of the plugs, and
calculates advance.  The module interfaces to the wheel/sensor, and
sends RPM info to the ECM.

With no wheel, and no sensor, there's no PRM info to the module, and
therefore no RPM info to the computer.  You can probably use the tach
connector on your tach, if there is one, to get RPM info to the ECM,
although the signal will need to be cleaned up.

--steve

________________________________

	From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org
[mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Gibson
	Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:59 PM
	To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
	Subject: [Gmecm] Using a 1227748 ecm for fuel conrol only

	Perhaps I should have been a little more clear on the engine.
The donor car is a Cherolet Celebrity with a 2.5L 4 cyl, DIS ignition.
The Recipient is a 250cid/4.2L Chev inline 6cyl in my truck. It has a
1bbl carb on it. To switch to something bigger I will need a different
intake. The only thing available is a 4bbl manifold whick requires a
different exhaust manifold for clearance. The other option is adapters
but I don't want to loose my air velocity through that little hole in my
intake. So the only option is a 1bbl tbi which coincidentally has a
higher cfm rating than my carb :) The donor vehicle is cheap :) The
needed adapter my wife's grandfather in California will make for free :)
I'm just trying to figure out how to get the darn computer to get some
kind of rpm signal to run the injector. Preferrably as simple as
possible. What I am trying to find out is if the ecm will fire the
injector without the 7th reference pulse.

	Yahoo! DSL
<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=37474/*http://promo.yah
oo.com/broadband/>  Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or
less

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.