[Gmecm] Class2 DIY tools?

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Mon Jan 9 21:04:59 UTC 2006

Well, I dont know how you can do the 10 minute relearn
I am speaking of without a connection to TIS since it
requires you to download from the GM site to do this
type of learn procedure and I have performend this
procedure many times. You might perform a 10 minute
learn without using TIS on a car such as an N body
that only uses a 10 minute procedure, and you can
perform a 30 min learn on others without a tech 2 at
all but you cannot do a 10 min learn on many cars
without a connection to TIS. And as far as the catera
goes, that was my point is that I think only a tech 2
can perform a key learn procedure. On a GM LAN vehicle
it is possible to do some communications on them
without the use of a CANdi module but the modules you
can communicate with are limited and the exact modules
that still utilize the standard class 2 data bus are
vehicle specific. I wouldnt see how an OTC scan tool
would be able to communicate with all modules without
an adapter as a tech 2 cant even do that. Below is a
list of instructions for performing a 10 minute learn
on a '99 Cadillac Seville that requires the use of
TIS. The '99 Bravada that was originally being
discussed uses the same method but in SI the
instructions arent as detailed:

10-Minute Re-Learn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following
components:

The Keys
The Theft Deterrent Control Module
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) if necessary , see
Important above
Tools Required

Tech 2
Techline Terminal with current Service Programing
System (SPS) software
Connect the Tech 2 Diagnostic tool.
Select Request Information under Service Programing.
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it
to a Techline Terminal.
On the Techline Terminal, select Theft Module Re-Learn
under Service Programming.
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the Techline Terminal and
re-connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF, using a
Master Pass Key?III key (Black).
Select VTD Re-Learn under Service Programming.
At this point the Tech 2 must remain connected for the
duration of the 10-minute re-learn period.
Observe the Security telltale. After approximately 10
minutes the telltale will turn off. The vehicle is now
ready to re-learn the key information and/or passwords
on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to
CRANK.
Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds.
Start the vehicle. The scan tool has now learned the
key and password information.
With the scan tool, clear any DTCs

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com