[Gmecm] Which ecm to use

Robin Handley Robin
Sun Jul 30 22:20:04 UTC 2006

> I thought the $58 code was intended for the sunbird
> turbo, but there are a few things i dont completely
> understand still so I may have been wrong. I have a KA
> engine and will be requiring a distributor trigger
> until I can fab up a crank triggering system at which
> time I will go DIS. I was thinking on using the turbo
> sunbird code since the engine config is pretty much
> the same as mine. A good Q I have is would the 749
> memcal work in the 730 ? I will be using the memcal
> adapter and a reprgrammable chip from moates.net so
> bascally the only thing i would need the memcal for is
> the resistor pack, but i would like to just buy the
> memcal for a turbo sunbird to read the code from it.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'm happily running the ignition of a NA
4cyl engine using $58 Sunbird code (downloaded) in the high 16k of a 32k
EPROM, running on a 16149396 (727) ECM and MemCal, triggered by a dizzy via
an 8-pin HEI. My only change to the MemCal was to desolder one leg to
configure it for a 4cyl engine.

Robin