[Gmecm] Geting rid of electronic transmission.

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Sat Mar 4 03:01:52 UTC 2006

Here's some info to put to rest the debate as to 4l60e/700r4 cooler flow. I flushed one today and my flush machine has a gpm flow guage on it, so I took advantage of it. I know some of you are going to say you've seen otherwise. So have I, but the numbers were either a little higher or a little lower. But not radically different.

  At Idle
  Park .8gpm
  Reverse 1.2gpm
  Neutral .8gpm
  OD-1st .8gpm

  2000 rpm wheels spinning
  Reverse 1.2gpm
  1st .8gpm
  2nd .8gpm
  3rd no tcc .8gpm
  3rd tcc 1.3gpm
  4th no tcc .8gpm
  4th tcc 1.3gpm

  Obviously having the tcc engages increases cooler flow, but the flow never stops. Why the increase? The tcc piston is applied with fluid pressure. Most trans clutch pistons have a vent hole that leaks. Leakage from the tcc means more fluid being put in the converter so more has to return to the trans... through the cooler. Point blank: the cooler always flows no matter what. It just flows more when the tcc is engaged. So it looks like all of us were at least somewhat right concerning the cooler flow.

Yahoo! Mail