[Gmecm] a question of timing

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Mon Mar 20 11:31:36 UTC 2006

AS&M really seems to live by the "money is no object" philosophy.  The
LS1 provides a cam signal, which can be sent directly to the Edist.
The OEM crank signal is worthless to the 7749, but the product info for
the Edist says "Compatible with LS1 engine" then adds a footnote which
says "must use 4X crank signal."  Gee... that's exactly the signal the
7749 needs.  Hmmm... it's looking more and more like the OEM EFI can be
used.  Arizona Spend&Money say " I doubt that the GM PCM that you
intend to use will have a dwell table compatable with the LS1."  But
the Edist product info says "replaces mechanical distributor on older
engines" implying that the E-dist works with a "table-less" distributor
(I have tech info from FAST implying points can be used as a trigger).
And the 7749 is programmed to maximize dwell on a mechanical
distributor system, so I really don't see an issue.  And to further
things along, I happen to know the 7749 works with E-dist.

The only zig to the zag is that there is no "bypass mode" built into
the Edist.  There are likely a couple of ways around this.  If you can
power a traditional distributor ignition module such as the 7749 is
typically connected to, then you can probably use the coil trigger line
to trigger the Edist.  This should work, but I don't know of a working
example so I won't say it will definitely work.  The second way that I
know works is to wire the EST line from the 7749 directly to the Edist.
  Since there's no signal on the EST line until (1) reference pulses
exceed a threshold count, and (2) crankshaft speed achieves a threshold
limit, you'll have to adjust these two limits to allow reference pulses
to occur fairly quickly during cranking.  The downside?  It's possible
that slow cranking speed (during winter, low battery, or tired starter)
may cause problems with correct ignition pulse generation.  I've never
heard of a problem on the 7749 EDist vehicle that I'm familiar with,
but it may have never experienced the right conditions.

Keep the wheels turning.

Zaphod