[Gmecm] a question of timing

Mike V efi
Mon Mar 20 12:46:05 UTC 2006

At 06:31 AM 3/20/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>AS&M really seems to live by the "money is no object" philosophy.  The LS1
>provides a cam signal, which can be sent directly to the Edist.
>The OEM crank signal is worthless to the 7749, but the product info for
>the Edist says "Compatible with LS1 engine" then adds a footnote which
>says "must use 4X crank signal."  Gee... that's exactly the signal the
>7749 needs.  Hmmm... it's looking more and more like the OEM EFI can be
>used.  Arizona Spend&Money say " I doubt that the GM PCM that you intend
>to use will have a dwell table compatable with the LS1."  But the Edist
>product info says "replaces mechanical distributor on older engines"
>implying that the E-dist works with a "table-less" distributor (I have
>tech info from FAST implying points can be used as a trigger).
>And the 7749 is programmed to maximize dwell on a mechanical distributor
>system, so I really don't see an issue.  And to further things along, I
>happen to know the 7749 works with E-dist.

I didn't say that it couldn't be done. Bruce Plecan did it a
couple years ago.  There are many ways to accomplish a goal.
My post was highlighting the decision process that led me away
from eDist at the time.  I'm sure it's a great product. MSD, on the
other hand, got me the signal I need for $269, with a complete
plug'-n-play programmable ignition for the LS1.  That sounds
easier to me.
mv