[Gmecm] Bench testing a GM waste-spark DIS ignition

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai
Fri May 12 14:49:29 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 08:13, Mike V wrote:
> cobble something mechanical that is powered by a small electric motor or
> <?> Befored you so kindly helped me with my project, I was ready to go that

I'm glad I could help, and please do tell if you need any further help :)

> route. Mechanical solutions to generate test signals aren't always a bad
> thing, they are just lower tech.

Mechanical solutions are my last resort, as I'm a bit fabrication-skill
impaired ;)

I'm getting frustrated with this DIS setup. The used DIS module I had, was in
fact dead (I opened it, and found one of the circuit wires on the clear gel
burnt open), so I bought a completely new module.

And I still can't get it to fire :(

I made some captures of the crank sensor waveform, and it looks right and
clean now that I changed to resistive ignition wires.

My only hope is that the sensor output is too low for the module to fire.
The BMW sensor has only 80 Ohm impedance, comprared to the 800 from a GM crank
sensor ... so the amount of coil wire difference is pretty hefty. In fact
with my voltmeter on AC scale, I can't get readings, but for what I read, the
GM sensor should put out some average volts that way.
If I can't get it to fire with the soundcard idea, I'm tossing the DIS and
keeping the crappy distributor that I can't get a rotor for.

--
Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.