[Gmecm] John's MPFI Engine Conversion

Cowen captain_krill
Wed Nov 22 06:42:46 UTC 2006

Hello John, I went through similar research myself,
when I converted a carb'ed 3.4l to fuel injection.  I
had planned to go TBI, as I had zero experience with
FI and thought it might be easier, but the TBI was too
tall to close the hood, so I went MPFI.

As mentioned before, the Camaro 2.8/3.1, the Fiero
2.8, and a number of mid size FWD cars had cast iron
heads, so they're what you need.  All the bottom and
intermediate manifolds are the same, but I've seen 4
or 5 different upper plenums (plena?) for the "Cast
Iron Head MPFI" intake manifolds (I actually really
liked the totally smooth one from a particular
Buick!). They have slightly different configurations
for the snouts, but I bet you have lots of room in the
Lumina, so it won't matter as much.  If you have
trouble fitting them, remember the upper plenum can be
reversed, as the intermediate plenum is symmetrical!
That is, unless the snout hits your distributor...

While you're at it though, why not convert to DIS?
Grab a DIS and a 1227730 off a Cavalier, Pontiac 6000,
etc. and plug it in. Yup, that simple!

I'm currently very happy with this mishmash:

1. a cast iron head 3.4l, (from Camaro?  Isuzu SUV?)
2. Fiero intake, injectors, sensors, and wiring
harness,
3. Cavalier DIS
4. 1227730 (from a 3.1l Pontiac 6000 wagon)

It passes Aircare with no cat and runs perfect in
closed loop.  I love GM's mixability!  I will
eventually learn to reprogram, so I can use full
throttle! :)

Good luck,

Duncan

Sponsored Link

Rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Loan for $1698/mo.
Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre