[Gmecm] Re: Gmecm Digest, Vol 19, Issue 3

William Lucke william.lucke
Sun Sep 3 17:58:07 UTC 2006

Conceptually, I look at it hierarchically:
Hardware
Code
Data

Hardware is the ECM... 7730, 7749, etc.
Code is the mask... $8D, $8F, etc.
Data is the calibration... ANHT, AUJP, etc.

The code consists of instructions that tell the ECM what to with the
calibration data. When the ECM executes the same code instructions on
different data sets, you get different outputs. Thus there can be
multiple sets of calibration data for each code mask, because, for
example, the speedometer data would have to be different for each axle
ratio offered in a RWD car, or the calibration data for a 305 is
different than that for a 350, even though they are run by the same ECM
and code mask.

The term "mask" is a little obtuse in that it stems from old school
computer speak. If you printed out the .bin file you could theoretically
cut holes in another piece of paper to lay over top of the printout so
that you only looked at what you were interested in... you could then
label each hole "0xAAAA - 0xAAAF: data so-and-so" and the piece of paper
with the holes would become a "mask" for understanding your .bin. This
is exactly what a definition file does in your PC's memory.

Because each version of Code may put critical tables in different
locations in the .bin, you need a different mask for each different
code, and thus the term mask has come to be synonymous with the specific
program used.

Will