[Gmecm] Re: Gmecm Digest, Vol 19, Issue 3 - What really is a 'mask'?

Robin Handley Robin
Sun Sep 3 18:52:39 UTC 2006

> Because each version of Code may put critical tables in different
> locations in the .bin, you need a different mask for each different
> code, and thus the term mask has come to be synonymous with the specific
> program used.

This is the bit which does not marry completely with my previous
understanding, and I realise that my original description was amibiguous in
this respect, but I think clear and concise otherwise.

So, in an attempt to be absolutely clear, is it true that, for a given code
'mask':

- The algorithms in the executable code are identical for all instantiations
(and, in fact, all executable code, aside from lookup vectors, is
identical).
- The calibration (lookup) data values will (obviously) vary between
applications to cope with different engine configurations etc. etc.
- The size and scaling etc. of all the calibration (lookup) data are
identical for all instantiations.
- The vector memory location of any given element (scalar/array/table) of
calibration data may vary between instantiations.

Is the above a necessary and sufficient description?

Robin

P.S. My school teachers used to have a paper 'mask' for marking multiple
choice questions (a piece of paper with holes punched in). Having programmed
in assembler for over 20 years, I'm also familiar with the concept of
masking bits.