[Gmecm] Re: TBI injector schema vs. port injector schema

Gary Evans gary
Thu Jan 11 18:54:05 UTC 2007

The fueling strategies for a dry vs. wet manifold system are going to
be very different. True, basic steady state VE theory will be the
same, and you could probably get such a setup to run.

But AE, DE, cold start, warm soak restart, cranking fuel and PE
(among other things) are going to be very different to account for
the presence of fuel in the manifold under a variety of conditions. I
doubt such a TBI/TPI hack job would ever run good enough to be
mistaken for a factory tune.

That's what my common sense tells me... I could be wrong.

As evidence for this I would point out that GM felt it was necessary
to write entire new calibrations for TBI vs TPI applications, not
just change injector and VE constants.

If you are talking about running a 'TPI ecm' with a modified TBI cal,
then yeah, I can see that working just fine. I am not aware of
anything in the ECM hardware that would absolutely prevent it from
being adapted to a TBI setup with proper electrical accommodations.
But I think an '730 + $8D + TBI combo would pretty much suck for
drivability no matter how much you tweaked the VE table.

Having said all that, you really should go ahead and try it and let
us know how it works out. Seriously! Until someone gives it a go, we
may never know. If you try it and report the results (good or bad)
then we will all have learned something.

-Gary