[Gmecm] TBI for 455 Olds - 454 BINs

Aaron aaron
Wed Jan 30 16:58:33 UTC 2013

Sorry to hear about the wife.

As far as the Howell Systems go, there are two options.

The HEI with a five pin ignition module has a special Howell designed
circuit board in the harness. Almost hidden really. I found it by accident
when I bent the harness too far to fit in a new location. This board changes
the standard coils Tach signal into what the 7747 wants to see.

The HEI with the 7 Pin Ignition module does not need the special signal
board. The module send the correct signal to the 7747.

From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Wade
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:19 AM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] TBI for 455 Olds - 454 BINs

OK.  I guess it's my turn after finally getting to read the posts.

Been having to deal with issues at home - my wife has MS and developed a bad
case of gall bladder (or what the preliminary indications are - more tests
on Thursday and Friday).  We live in eastern Tennessee so - getting anywhere
takes an hour or more.  HA.  But we love it here in the mountains.

Anyway - here are a few things to bring up to date for the group (many
thanks to all who have the time to devote to this)  J

The engine is a stock 455 from 1976.  It is low compression, but high torque
and runs very well as is.  It is a stock 4-bbl version out of a Delta 98.

Transmission Lockup - I currently control this via a manual switch - it's a
lot more efficient for me given the cruising that we do.

The Trans was built to stand up to the torque of the 455 .  It currently has
a gear driven speedo.

The camshaft will remain the same - I was told that it was stock.  I am
probably going to rebuild the engine sometime this next winter, but for now,
the cam is stock.

I DO NOT have anything ESC or Knock related to a BBC.  All I currently have
are those items for 5.7s and 305s.

As far as running the ESC and Knock - I am not a against it but if it is a
major headache, then I could go a different route.

Distributor - currently running a stock HEI style with in-cap coil.  I read
where the Howell uses a lead from the Tach output to sense engine RPM.  I am
unsure if this substitutes for the ECM needing to know how fast the car is
going but since I don't need to have the ECM lockup the torque converter,
this is optional as well.

Given this info - I will take "off-forum" any further info needed if that is
what someone wants to do.

I do not have the means to burn a chip but would be more than willing to
send my ECM to anyone that would.  As well as take care of their time with
$$.

I certainly can't express enough gratitude to everyone responding to this
project.  I knew that I couldn't just bolt on the TBI and related controls
and use the 5.7 tune, so this is great info.

It took me a little while to read thru the posts and I may have missed one,
but I'm going to print them all out so I can reference them.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Wade.