[Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A

Aaron aaron
Mon May 13 18:46:45 UTC 2013

We have had good luck with a standard air nose with a rubber tip and a tank
that can be pressurized to 30 psi.
We fill the can with flush fluid, hook up the shop air through a pressure
regulator and filter, then pull the trigger.
We catch the fluid on the way out with a rag to look for rubber , metal
chunks and other crud.
Several extra shots of filtered air, dry out the flush.

Just remember that every line, every condenser and every evaporator had oil
in it and will need the oil replaced.

I do NOT recommend flushing an accumulator, drier , expansion valve or
compressor.
Back flushing can be done on an orifice tube, if it can't be removed. (F'ing
JEEP !)

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Eck, Joel
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:52 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A

If the fins are basically straight so that airflow is not hampered, and
there isn't 31 years of oil and dirt caked on it, then it's probably OK.
Heat will transfer through the metal regardless, there isn't any magic
coating that enables heat transfer.

That being said, if the compressor ended up losing bits of itself in the
system, you don't want the trash that traveled through the system to be left
in place to later become dislodged and eat up your brand new (or refurb'ed)
compressor. IOW, it's the insides of it that I'd be far more concerned with
than the outsides of it. If there's no evidence of 'black death' inside the
lines, you might be ok.

I'd hose down the outside of it real well with brake cleaner (with the ports
well capped off, just to be sure).  If you're still not sure about the
insides of it, I've seen something that was billed as a system flush for
things like condensers, lines, and evaporators, but I've never used it so I
don't know how to use it or how well it works. Searching amazon for 'A/C
system flush' results in good hits for it. Apparently you will need the
liquid and a device for pushing the liquid through the system.

Thanks,
Joel Eck