Problems DELCO ECM

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Fri Jun 28 03:19:05 GMT 1996

>Alright! Now I can get into this! For starters most of these models were tbi.

First off most calibrations are sized in this range for PFI. 8.2s are TBI.

I do not have enough info the completely rewrite the code. I doubt
anybody outside of GM powertrain does. And they like to keep their
jobs. Maybe one guy though he's too smart to open his mouth like me.

>easy to change to tpi? How? Why 2.0 to 5.7? Why not tubocharged 8.2?
Parameters are

There are a lot of trouble codes built in. Exceed some parm and the
thing shuts down. Goes into backup not a pretty place.

>parameters, if air valves, injectors, map, etc are sized correctly what
difference does
>size make? While we're at it, any suggestions as to how to get around the
pulsations

FYI Well GM currently does synchronous reads for MAF and MAP. The old
ECMs don't do this. By sampling at the same time and place you can get
a pretty good idea .

Also filtering. A low pass filter to be exact. It takes five lines
of code to make a second order for the MAP. Also a long vacum line
to the Map does the same thing. True you lose transient.

>inherent in kinky cams? Also need to know the ug level of getting one of
these to work

Well a modern 0.500 " lift roller cam will pull about 14" of vacum.
This is adequate for Map and low 12s. Ask linginfilter He has gone
much better with Map.

You can always go N-alpha if you are using a 0.800" cam. WOT is about
all you will ever use.

>as a map type system, as I think maf's are a pain in the butt.(to much
plumbing, cost,

>unreliable, space, not to mention the interface, mapping, sizing etc probs.)
>  Knock sensors in the head? I thought they went by the crank to be closer
to where
>the harmonic is transmitted from the cyl? How do you intend to keep valve
noise from
>making your tune crazy with knock sensor in head?

True knock sensor location is a science. Thats why the people on
the net are worried. However it is possible to adjust the sensitivity
both mechanically and electrically. A tech 1 can be used to check for
knock activity.

Also remember it took GM billions and many millions of manhours to
make this work. I most certainly don't have all the answers. I merely
wished to get some activity started. Boy did I ever

GL all: peter