Abrasive flow finishing

Tuck sldbrass at infi.net
Tue Dec 2 03:17:57 GMT 1997

At 06:53 PM 12/1/97 -0500, you wrote:

>-> Well that looks like (on the intake side)a peak of a bit over 20%
>-> increase in flow.  Any idea what that translates to in terms of power
>-> output?
>
> No, that's not a 20% increase in flow.  It's a 20% increase in *peak*
>flow.  For an engine you're more interested in average flow.  Total up
>all the numbers and divide.

Before you rip me a new one, run the numbers yourself next time.  The
average increase in flow across the range is about 21.9%  Below is an added
column for percent change, so peak is actually more like 33 percent at the
bottom of the range, with a second smaller peak to about 24 percent at the
top.

             Intake
Lift	Before	After	Chg	Percent Change
.050	  35	  38	 3		8.57
.100	  59	  78	19		32.758
.150	  84	112	28		33.333
.200	114	145	31		27.19
.250	142	164	22		15.5
.300	164	191	27		16.5
.350	176	203	27		15.34
.400	182	218	36		19.78
.450	185	230	45		24.3
.500	188	233	45		23.9
.550	191	233	42		21.9895
.600	188	233	45		23.9

The question is still how much power does that translate to.  If the change
in air flow results in a linear increase in power there are significant
gains to be had from extrude honing of this particular manifold.

Of course I am interested in how it would affect a rather different beast,
namely a fuel injected rotary, a creature which has a distinctly different
torque curve than most reciprocating engines.  It's generally accepted (and
my own car seems to be an example) that increasing the port size on a
rotary costs you on the bottom end (demand isn't sufficient to keep port
speed high), but from this it would appear that the engine has better flow
throughout the range as a result of the polishing and "porting" as it were,
of the manifold.

And FWIW the injection system on Mazda rotaries is not throttle body
injection.

Justin "Tuck" Cordesman
SOLID BRASS-> Dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight.

The lips of a Strange Woman drip honey,
and her mouth is smoother than silk.
But her fate is bitter as wormwood...
sharp as a two edged sword.