Turbo Fiero (was Re: checksum thanks)

Ludis Langens ludis at netcom.com
Tue Dec 2 06:35:19 GMT 1997

Al Hunt <skypig at IntNet.net> wrote:
>May I impose upon you all for a few thoughts on the following project:
>
>'84 Pontiac Fiero with a transplanted 2.8 V6 MPFI ...
>
>My "big idea" is to install a turbo unit from a Chrysler Laser (2.2?) ...
>
>I can, indeed, plumb the turbo in, as far as the exhaust, oil, intake,
>mounting and coolant is concerned.
>
>*My problem - the Fiero ECM.  The unit in question is the original, correct
>unit for the engine ('86 2.8).  I can only assume that as far as the ECM is
>concerned, the engine will have gone "totally haywire" when the manifold
>starts seeing pressure as opposed to vacuum.

When the MAP sensor starts registering pressure, the ECM should eventually
declare it as "failed".  At that point it will set a code and start computing
a replacement value based on other engine sensors.

However, this ECM has support for a turbo!  You need to change the 1-bar MAP
sensor out for a 2-bar sensor, and then burn a new calibration PROM.  A flag
in the PROM needs to be flipped to switch it over to 2-bar mode.  You also
need to "extend" the ignition map for boost conditions, change the fuel maps
to adjust for the changed airflow characteristics, and tweak tens of other
minor values.

A little birdie dropped a dump of exactly such a PROM into my hands.  But I
won't stab it's creator in the back by giving out copies to everyone planning
a turbo upgrade.  You might be able to buy your own copy (and maybe some
turbo parts like the MAP sensor) from Design One Systems / Kevin Leslie.

                   unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
Ludis Langens         return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
ludis at netcom.com                 (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}