Need conversion equation for PS, HP, and kW

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Tue Dec 9 23:01:17 GMT 1997

A PS is a metric horsepower which is 32,549 lbs-ft per minute.  A US
horsepower is 33,000 lbs-ft per minute.  The difference is only 1.3%.  I
wouldn't bother converting.  If the ratings are JIS (Japanese Industrial
Standard), they are close to the old SAE gross ratings used on US cars
before 1972.  US cars are now rated in SAE net which is as installed in the
car with all accessories, intake and exhaust installed.  The SAE gross had
no air cleaner, timing and fuel mixture could be adjusted, dyno exhaust, and
no accessories.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>