[cl] Knock Modules - LT1

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Thu Sep 24 14:50:43 GMT 1998

H Villemure wrote:

> Simply replace the plugs for one or even 2 ratings hotter units... do not let
> the engine knock more than 5-6 sec. I destroyed a rod bearing doing a similar test.
>
> I would very much like to know the basics of how a knock sensor works? I am
> new to the list and also to microcontroller design at all. I have everything
> to learn in this area!

A knock sensor is basically a piezo-electric microphone.  There is a
circuit, called "ESC" in GM cars, that listens to the knock sensor and
signals the ECM if knock is detected, then the ECM retards the
ignition.  I don't know if anyone knows for sure what's in an ESC
module, but it seems pretty likely that it's just some sort of
filtering.  Someone with a signal generator and a scope could figure
this out???

--steve

--
Steve Ravet