assmeblers and disassemblers

Steve Ravet steve.ravet at arm.com
Thu Sep 24 15:05:16 GMT 1998

MrCad472 at aol.com wrote:

>   Pardon my ignorance, but what are assemblers and disassemblers? I'm new to
> this list and haven't gone this indepth to fuel injection
>
> Scott

Assemblers and disassemblers go with microprocessors and
microcontrollers in general, not fuel injection in particular.  An
assembler translates assembly language source into binary instructions
for the microprocessor.  A disassembler does the reverse.  It takes the
binary instructions and translates them backwards into human readable
source code.  In short, an assembler is how GM gets the code and data
into the ECM, and a disassembler is how we get it back out.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com