Caddy 472-500

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu Sep 24 23:19:18 GMT 1998

-> Pontiac,  I talked to the original Bendix engineers in Newport News
-> Va.   they said it was their own system developed for GM...and
-> specifically done for those engines....the Olds 350, caddy 425, &
-> 500...
-> totally differant than anything VW/Bosch could have done....

 True, it's a different system.  But there are strong similarities
between the DFI and the Bosch D/L-Jet - Bosch licensed Bendix' injection
patents and derived technology in the mid '60s, where it was basically
gathering dust from the vacuum tube days.  Bosch took advantage of the
advent of the transistor and developed the Bendix system into a
marketable product.  In the late '60s Bendix foresaw a renaissance for
EFI with the coming of smog legislation and did their own modern
interpretation of the Electrojector.  The system they delivered to
Cadillac in the mid '70s was much simpler than their development models
in order to cut the lead time and price, which was a factor even for
Cadillac.

 I'm don't know why Bendix got out of the EFI business, but most modern
EFI systems are based on Bendix technology.  The prime component of that
technology:  the Bendix patents on the solenoid-type fuel injector.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?