miss still happening

Andrew F. Gunnesch afgun at mongoose.dearborn.sgi.com
Tue Sep 29 17:23:43 GMT 1998

Well, I guess I spoke too soon...  the miss is still there, though it
doesn't happen nearly as often as it did before.  Perhaps the ignition
module also has an intermittent loose connection in it?

When the miss is happening on my '89 TPI motor (MAF, '165 ECM, remote
coil distributor, VSS in the transmission), the speedometer jumps up
quite a bit.  I'm thinking that it could be one of several things (I
am getting a diacom today for testing to help eliminate possibilities):

1)  Intermittent loose connection in either the ignition module or
    below the spot in the wiring harness that I spliced in (the 4-wire
    connector to the distributor)

2)  Intermittent loose connection in either of the 2 wire connectors
    on the coil

3)  bad ECM

4)  bad VSS buffer box

5)  crosstalk (induction, jumping spark, whatever) between one of the
    ignition wires and one of the wires that controls the distributor/
    coil operation

Suggestions on how to proceed?  Thanks!