atomization enhancement

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat May 1 17:50:45 GMT 1999

> >    How does the increased pressure affect control of the pulsewidth, if
> >at all?
> >James Ballenger
> Flow through an injector per unit time will vary directly with the square
> root of the pressure across it. "Pressure across it" means the arithmetic
> difference between the gauge pressure in the fuel rail and the gauge
> pressure in the manifold at any given condition.
> At very short pulse widths, the higher pressure will affect the opening
and
> closing characteristics of the injector enough that things will not be
> quite this simple.

Speaking specifically of "on" times of less than 2 msec. most all injectors
get "erratic", in their flow rates.   Pintle are the least, disc being
worst.   This was done at just 3 bar test pressures, so I'd imagine at
higher PSI they would be even worse.
   Some time ago Greg H rattled on about rising rate regulators, and turn
down ratios, or some such stuff over my head, but after seeing the pix off
Mike Pitts set up using one of Carl S's riasing rate regulators, looks like
the road to go, IMHO..
   I'm still really curious about seeing some details about how an injector
acts with a min "off" time.  This 2 msec might apply at both ends of the
scale.  So just running a step from, 2 msec to 100% duty cycle might be the
answer.  Or just hoping for the best and program thru the jump, and let the
injector do as it will..
Happy