Hessitation in Late Model Subarus

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat May 8 03:11:01 GMT 1999

>>The ECU is a OBD2 type with EPROM.
> > What I would like to do is simply reduce the sensitivity of the sensor.

That's not the problem as I see it.  It's seeing a knock you don't want it
to see.
That is a problem with all these dumb acoustic sensors, only cure is going
to ionization kknock detection, please refer to the archives and search ION.

> > That is what I did mechanically and it seemed to work pretty good.  The
> > problem though is that it is a little iffy and esoteric and problematic
> > and lacking consistency.  It is not solid state enough to suit me.  I'd
> > rather dampen the signal electrically.

OK, once you get it dampened how ya know it really works when you need it?.
Ya just listen for it?.   I'd be a heck of alot more curious about the cause
for it, what gas are you using. operating temp., spark plug heat
range/style.  If you've already addressed these fine, but you didn't mention
them.  I just don't beleive in automatically disabling parts of the ecm.
How about the self diagnostics of OBDII, what are it's parameters, and what
effect would it have on it.