testing injectors

James Seabolt jseabolt at intermediatn.net
Wed May 12 07:24:08 GMT 1999

James Weiler <james at brc.ubc.ca> wrote:

>Gang, I was flipping through my copy of 'Maximum Boost'

Don't get me started on Corky Bell. His book was helpful during my turbo
project but he is wrong about how much fuel enrichment a turbocharged
engine is supposed to have.

>and noticed he
>had a simple injector tester.  He had the injector opened by a simple
>switch hooked up to a 9V battery and he said to measure flow for 1 minute.
>This would hold the injector open at 100% duty cycle.  I know this is a
>bad situation but for purposes of testing is this going to damage the
>injector (I don't need to measure for the whole minute, I could use 15-30
>seconds if that makes a difference).
>Will this work for peak and hold injectors?  If these injectors need 4
>amps to open then I'm going to need something like a car battery to open
>the injector.  Is using a car battery a bad idea here?  i.e 12V vs. 9V

This may be comparing apples to oranges, but a book I have on Bosch fuel
injection (not sure if your system is Bosch or not) but it says 4 volts is
what's used to fire the injectors. This might be L-jetronic only.

James Seabolt -----> mailto:jseabolt at intermediatn.net
Webpage: http://users.intermediatn.net/jseabolt/
ICQ # : 7344463

United States

1980 FIAT 2000 TURBO Spider injected (John Deere aspirated)
1981 FIAT 2000 Spider (Rest in Pieces)
1981 FIAT X 1/9 (Injected)
1994 JEEP Wrangler (2.5l )
1976 Chevrolet Pickup (454 Big block/7.3 liter)