alternative engines, WARPED

Pete Boggini pjb at gt350.corp.sgi.com
Wed May 12 17:57:07 GMT 1999

Todd....!! said:

>Well, did ya'll know that all s.b. 302 Fords are NOT created equally?
>
>The single point distributor out of an old EARLY 70's LTD behemoth
>didin't fit into the 83 t-birds 5.0 distibutor hole!
>
>The first large diamter area of the single point distributor with an
>o-ring on it is too big in diameter for the hole and will not fit unless
>I turn the diameter down a bit...

  Huh?  Let's see, I've had a 289 that I stuck a later model duraspark
in and it worked fine.  More recently I had an '87 5.0 that I had
the same duraspark distributor in and it worked fine.  Its got the
TFI distributor in it now since its EFI, but I don't remember there
being differences like that.

  Was that possibly a 351W distributor?  They are longer, or so I've
been told, but they may be wider too.  I will admit that I didn't
try and stick the single point distributor in the 5.0, well, I tossed
that distributor so I can't check now.:-).

  Of course, I was also told that since the TFI distributor, with its
longer shaft, would require modifications to get it to fit with my
Motorsport oil pump shaft, but it fit fine.  I've since heard there
are two shafts, and I must have the shorter one.  But, it worked with
the duraspark distributor.

  Boy do I feel lucky...:-).

peterb
Peter Boggini
Systems Administrator/Corporate Operations
E-mail: pjb at corp.sgi.com
Phone: (650)933-6858