alternative engines, WARPED

Todd....!! atc347 at c-com.net
Tue May 18 15:11:58 GMT 1999

All you mentioned is foreign to me...

I am not of that era and have no friends with any of the good ol flat
heads...

Do have a friend with a couple a Hemi's buit they're all 426's and
souped in the ol Cuda's...

28 mpg seems UNREAL to me right now....

What's the trick?  throw a one barrel on it and highway gears and a LOT
of air in some REALLY skinny tires and MAYBE I'll be in the teen's but I
don't see 20 ANYTHING for gas mileage coming outa my pig!

As for gear ratio, the goal is to hit red line in top gear when ya cross
the finish line, that's the all around goal of gearing for best e.t...

As for the AAR 340 in another car, in my mind the AAR Cuda deserves to
have it's engine back!  It deserves it and it DEFINITELY looks TOTALLY
AWESOME!  I passed up snaggin an AAR Cuda for $1,000 back in about 1988,
STILL kickin myself!  I had JUSt bought the BEE so I didn't think I
needed another Mopar pig in the shed! The thing sold right before I
found out what it was worth! It had a blown engine(Thrown rod) and the
heads and 6 pac intake and carbs were stolen off of it, the body was in
SUPER shape, it was orange with the black AAR strip kit! still had the
turnouts in front of the rear tires as well as the cool 'glas? single
scoop hood!

As for the 440 turnin the rpm's...

FYI, if'n ya don't already know...

A small block chev 302 engine's bore is 4 inches, stroke is 3.00 inches
A small block chev 327 engine's bore is 4 inches, stroke is 3.25 inches
A small block chev 350 engine's bore is 4 inches, stroke is 3.50 inches
A small block chev 400 engine's bore is 4.125 inches, stroke is 3.75
inches
A   BIG block chev 427 engine's bore is 4.25 inches, stroke is 3.75
inches
A   BIG block chev 454 engine's bore is 4.25 inches, stroke is 4.00
inches

If we took, for example, a Big Block chev engine with a 4.25 inch bore,
like say a 454 block and DE-STROKED the crank to in between a 327 and
350 at say about a 3.37 stroke, this would give you the dimensions of a
383 Mopar engine!

Can you imagine what a cehv 454 destroked to a shorter stroke than a 350
chev would rev like?  Well, you know what it could sound like whenever
ya here a 383 Mopar engine rev!  Super quick!

Then ya have the 440 Mopar which comes from the factory with a 4.32 inch
bore and a 3.75 inch stroke (Same as the 427 Chev b.b.)
A 400 Mopar engine has even a BIGGER bore than the 440 at 4.34!  AND the
stroke is the same as the 383!!! which again is abotu 3.38 inches!

a 400 Mopar engine is like taking a 454 engine with a 4.25 inch bore,
boring it out .090, which is hardly ever done on the B.B. Chev due to
cyl wall thickness and safety THEN DE_STROKIN the sucker to a shorter
stroke than a 350 chev!!

The 400 Mopar is where it's at if ya want a high revvin engine!

What some people do to the 400 Mopar is throw the 3.75 inch 440 crank
into the 400 block and create a REALLY lightweight internal 451 stroker
motor!

http://www.musclemotors.com sells the kit for this build in various
forms and completedness...

One of the GREAT things about these Mopar engine's is that they cost
less at the bone yards than even the s.b. chevs or Ford's, I assume due
to the law of supply and demand, more people but chev's and Fordsouta
the yards than Mopars...

I picked my 440 up for $135 at the local Pic-Ur-Part self-help junk
yard...

Rebuilt it and had it in the car for about $1,300 TOTAL including the
price of the junkyard engine!

Sure I'm only runnin low 13's so far, but I have my probs and it's not
the engine itself, it's the ignition system, i.e. cheap plugs and wires,
as well as carburetor 'issues'...

Tippin the scales at 3,710 lbs. without driver doesn't help things much!

Will be in the 12's soon, after installin new Accel 8 mm wires and accel
non resistor plugs and buddies race 750 and losin the rest of the junk
in the car after a good cleanout....

Hopefully she'll hook up this time, maybe use some VHT this time as
well!!  And some octane booster or race fuel!

LATER!

Todd....!!
http://www.c-com.net/~atc347/toddlnk.htm