alternative engines, now Hemi

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Thu May 27 01:52:49 GMT 1999

-> > Couldn't injecting gasoline still work if the injection system was
-> calibrated
-> > for gasoline?  i.e. maybe inject it at a slower rate?

> Sounds reasonable, but the properties of gasoline may still be too
> "explosive" to be done that way.

 The Bosch mechanical direct injection used by Mercedes was a slightly
modified Diesel apparatus.  It used engine oil to lubricate the pump, as
gasoline didn't have the lubricity of Diesel fuel, and used a vacuum
diaphragm on the pump to adjust for load.

 The Ford flathead I'm doing is using a Diesel pump with oil metered
into the fuel flow to lubricate the pump, and the throttle butterfly
will have electronic control as soon as I get around to building that
part.  The foot throttle will control fuel, the butterfly will be
controlled by stepper motor.  Bob Harris made a strong case for "air
follows fuel" a few months ago, enough to persuade me.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?