Problem with getting off idle with Stock Rover MEMS

Mike (Perth, Western Australia) erazmus at wantree.com.au
Sun Apr 9 17:19:44 GMT 2000

At 09:48 PM 8/4/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>I have a stock Mpi Rover mini. Getting the engine off idle is difficult,
>you give the throttle a tap and the engine hestates then comes up. If you
>tap the throttle several times you can almost get the engine to stop.
>Suggestions?

This sounds like the sort of thing that happens with a failing
accelerator pump...

>I am thinking TPS.. It is only a POT and everbody knows that pots get
>noisey....
>
>What do you think?

My car doesn't have a pot. It has an idle switch and a small PCB with
a track in a square wave pattern. When you press the throttle, the sensor
sends out pulses - about 16 from idle to WOT.

In my experience the things that fail first are connectors, not the actual
sensors...

Have you had your engine bay steam cleaned at some time ;-)

PS: You're not from Southend on Sea are you ;)

Rgds

Mike Massen

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"

Pictures of site installation at Mendulong near Sipitang, Sabah (Malaysia) for
container based RAPS...   http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus

Vehicle modifications on GMH Turbo, twin tyres, possible 175Kw at wheels
Preliminary pictures at http://www.wantree.com.au/~erazmus/Twin_tyre_vehicle/

My editorial on twin-tyre opinion and good reference about tyres:-
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/ttyreopinion.html