Old 486 Board for ECU? Why?

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Thu May 4 17:32:00 GMT 2000

Frederic,

Well, I wouldn't call you an oaf!  I am thinking of dabbling in this a bit
myself now.  I'm thinking of using a Linux box to talk to an array of
smaller circuits which control engine functions.  That is, my Linux software
would set a register on the #1 fuel injector control circuit to tell it how
much and when to fire.  The PC would be able to make many corrections a
second like this.  This will be complex, but it will give me the ability to
tweek almost any aspect of my car's operation.

As for your Linux installation, I would also use RedHat.  I would, however,
turn off most of the services, and modules.  Link it staticly with
everything you will need.

I would like to better understand what kind of performance problems you are
facing.  You mentioned that it will idle, but that's about it.  Are you not
able to make corrections quickly enough?

If you are trying to use 4 displays in graphics mode with svgalib, you could
try to write a middleware function which will put a dot on your 2x2
"virtual" display.  Then build from there.  This shouldn't be too bad.

Talk to you later.

Mike Diehl,
MR-2, '87na