DIS coil source?

Daniel Houlton houlster at inficad.com
Fri May 26 17:47:11 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I'm starting to play with a DIS controller for a 4 cly engine.  I need
to source a 2-coil pack to play with and I'd like to get one from a 4
cyl GM.  These are the round body ones that look like what Electromotive
sells.

I have no idea what to ask or look for at a junkyard though.  Can someone
reccomend a particular application?  I did go to one junkyard that had a
barrel full of them and there were several different types.  The coils
themselves all looked the same, but the bases they were attached to had
different types of connectors and/or heat sinks.

Any particular application that will be easier to work with?  Or an
application at all?  www.car-parts.com has a good search engine, but I
want to be sure of a vehicle and year that has the coils I want before
buying one blindly.

And what are they worth?  The yard I went to wanted $50 for a 2-coil
pack which I thought was absurd.  I was expecting like $20.  Are they
really going for that much?

thanks
--Dan