Underhood Temperatures

Hunt David huntd at tce.com
Fri May 26 20:59:57 GMT 2000

>Hasn't anybody heard of Heisenberg?

What Heisenberg was  saying is that since, in his day, they were using
electrons to measure electrons that the electron detected for purposes of
measurement would affect the state of the measured electron since they were
of equivalent mass...etc.  When using an infrared detector to determine
temperature I don't believe that the uncertainty caused will be measured in
our lifetimes.

>Oh, to answer your question, *I've* heard of >Heisenberg. Wasn't he the
>guy that built that blimp that crashed? So, what >about him? :)

Come on Gar!  Live becomes difficult when I'm setting here trying to
clandestinely read this thread whilst you are making laugh out loud jokes.

About the methodology of modeling, I've worked at GM as an engineer and the
truth is that modeling is advancing, but still the primary problem is
entering the system into the computer.  The process is to create the models,
connect the models together, run a simulation, review the data, correct the
models, correct the connection run a simulation...ad infinitum.  Bottom line
the simulation results are always compared to empirical results so as to
improve the model.

As for 1% accuracy, there are so many variables that 1% is difficult to
obtain.  How do you treat the change the model to accommodate the change of
emittance of exhaust headers as they age?  How about the addition of grease
and dirt as the product is driven on clay, on gravel dust, on pavement, on
sand on ....?  How do you accommodate the differences between parts on the
production line?

Come on, tools such simulation as are certainly helpful, but as yet haven't
replaced empirical results.  And it ain't because the users are stupid.

David Hunt
(317)587-3431
101 W 103rd St.
Indianapolis, IN 46206