Syclone tuning advice

Jim Sloan leroy at sunflower.com
Fri May 26 22:43:03 GMT 2000

> In a message dated 5/25/00 7:28:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> btisdale at cybersol.com writes:
>
> >  Trying to develop a good 40# chip for my modded Syclone, 749 ECU.  Mods
=
> >  heads, cam, turbo and all the hardware needed to monitor stuff and to
> >  assure adequate fuel flow.
>
> We should be swapping notes.
> Funny, I put 40s in last night and I worked with
> 1.  (F30) Base Pulse VE vs RPM
> 2.  (F29) Base Pulse VE vs RPM And MAP
> getting similar results.  Not rich like I'd hoped, and I'm seeing
> 12+ degrees of knock retard   I have something else happening that
> I haven't nailed down just yet..  I took my 30# injectors out because
> they could no longer give me diacom O2 readings in the upper 900's.
> Repalcing the O2 sensor gave me the exact same low 900 readings,
> so I replaced the 30# injectors with 40's and the O2 numbers haven't gone
up.
> I have a fresh fuel filter and a fairly recent 255 liter Walbro fuel pump.
> I'll do a compression test and have a look at the plugs in the AM.
> I think it may have ingested part of a TB air foil (ouch) in the last
year..
> I found the top half of the air foil laying in front of one of the TB
> butterflies.
> I'll let you know what he morning brings.

Between work and the digest version, I'm a little slow to respond here.  I'm
quite interested it what you guys are doing...having been down the road with
50# injectors.  I think there's more than one way to skin a cat here.

Brian Green was a tremendous help to me.  He had already done quite a bit of
work with 50# chips and provided me with a base bin file.  I started with a
bpc (from the egr table) on the rich side.  I worked with the chips in open
loop.....seemed a little easier to me.  I worked on idle,  cruise, and
transient fueling using the f29 and f30 tables.....probably tried a couple
hundred different chips.   Scheduled a day at the dyno for some WOT tuning
and testing....but had multiple problems and ended up with a blown head
gasket.   Fixed the head gasket and started over......chip was pretty close,
but had to reduce the fueling in the f30 table at 4000 rpm and above to lean
it out a bit.   G-teched it a few times and best was 12.6 at 110 on 92
octane with a couple degrees knock retard.  4.1 seconds zero to
60.......traction was a limiting factor and the truck was getting really fun
to drive.   Now we have another blown head gasket....turns out the machine
shop put in the wrong gaskets....sheesh.....getting expensive and
frustrating.

Hope you guys have better luck.

Jim Sloan
leroy at sunflower.com